Skip to main content

Raising Self-Responsible Children

I saw an amazing video from a recent talk Mary and Jesus gave in Gatwick, UK. There was a piece in it about raising children that was so powerful I decided I had to clip it and throw it on my channel. I wrote a little blurb in the description box of the video and I thought it was good so I am copying and pasting it here:


The Truths contained in this video is some of the most powerful information I’ve ever heard from anyone. As a child raised to be a couch potato, there were no consequences for my lack of desire to take responsibility over myself. For some reason, when my single mother wanted to do my laundry or clean my dishes, I did not protest.

One time, I remember trying to take responsibility by cutting the peel off the apple segments myself. I had never done it before and I was learning how to use the knife carefully so that I would not cut myself. Instead of fostering my desire to learn, my mother told me I was going too slow, and she took over.

Even as I write this, I cry thinking of how she took away my opportunities to grow as a person. I believe self-responsibility is one of the greatest lessons a human being can learn in life. As a 41-year-old man, I still struggle to overcome the emotional blocks that I have to these lessons. I regularly pray now and ask my REAL parent, God, to help me take initiative and exercise my passions through action in my personal life. I do not lie to you when I tell you that it is a real struggle and I am not even close to the bottom of the spiritual blocks I have as a person.

When I hear parents talk about the burden of raising children, saying things like, “Having children is the best and worst thing I’ve ever done,” I feel like jumping in quicksand rather than having to listen to them. I will try to suggest that they reconsider their attitude. In response, I get the typical, “Do you have children?” to which I must reply “No,” and then they return with, “Well, then you can’t understand.” This shaming tactic does not work on me but I know the conversation is over because instead of being open, they now want to attack me.

Well, I don’t have children but I was a child once, and I know how condescending it is to not just be told but for it to be demonstrated constantly that I don’t know what the heck I’m doing - that I’m just a stupid little creature that can’t understand how to wash his own clothes or boil water. From my experience in the field, it is a hell that I am still working on escaping.


To access the clip I posted, follow this link:

https://youtu.be/asQ7aHEQH9k

Comments